09 December 2010

First Fivefinger Barefoot Run

Since our feet have been boxed in miniature coffins their whole life it's no surprise to learn that all the muscles in your foot have atrophy and are no where near strong enough to walk or run barefoot for very long.  Pretty all the information I've read or watched on YouTube says to start slow and build up slowly.  This is one reason I've been just walking around in them for the past week (besides being sick)  tonight I went out for the first run and it was awesome!  At least for the 3 blocks that I was able to run, then I walked home.  If you think this sounds like I'm a wimp, then go get your own pair tough guy (or gal)!  I didn't overdo it buy my feet and calves are sore today, I definately pushed them hard enough.  this will pretty much be the plan for the next month before I will have any feet strength to run/walk much further -I hope I progress faster but it's unlikely you can only do some much so fast.

It was incredible though, I also noticed that when I have to put on my clunky big heel work shoes, that I can feel/hear the heal strike in my ears when I walk.  YES, I'M SERIOUS, the impact to your heel bone resonates all the way to your skull, where you can feel/hear it!  I don't have any proof, but I'm almost positive this is why so many people need knee replacements when they get older...!?

In the next photos I tried to capture what your toes almost immediatly start doing, and thats fanning out to create a stronger base.  I suggest going to YouTube and watch some videos, I found a few where seasoned runners "flex" their toes and they have a nice wide base.  Very cool when you think about the biomechanics of it and how a wider toe base increases your stability.  Very sad when you think about how today's shoes jam your toes together.  Here's the photos where I've tried to show how wide my toes want to be after running compared to the shoes I usually put them in.


No comments:

Post a Comment