08 December 2010

Finally a Fair Amount of Walking in the Fivefingers

I've been wearing the fivefingers almost everynight this week, but a non-barefoot disaster struck on Saturday when I got sick with all the oh-so-fun flu type symptons.  Miserable weekend and been a bit slow recovering this week.  So finally on Wed I was feeling good enough to get out of the house and do something at least.

Over the past few days of wearing the shoes it has become obvious that learning to walk is going to take some thought to do it right, running on the other hand is a no brainer you just automatically do it.  It turns out that even though I don't wear shoes at all when I'm at home in my apartment, I still don't walk right and this is because the carpet is soft enough that I can still walk with a heel strike, and actually if your walking slowly the fivefinger sole is soft enough to allow you walk with a heel strike.

Today’s grocery shopping trip to Walmart is the most I have walked around in the fivefingers with a conscientious effort to walk correctly.  Certainly gave the feet a workout and it’s a lot easier to understand how much atrophy has occurred in my feet.  If you’re reading this keep in mind that when I say “my feet” unless you’ve already begun your own revolution this applies to you also.  The best thing I discovered today is that reverting back to walking naturally as we were meant to walk isn’t going to be all that hard, I found myself walking correctly once I got home also and had been off my feet for a bit and had a chance to forget about making an effort.  As expected though, it didn’t take much walking and the muscles in my feet were worn out.  Wow did it feel good though, I felt my whole body thanking me as I padded around.  Really looking forward to getting the Vivobarefoot shoes, it was ugly cramming my feet back in their steel toed coffins to go back to work this morning.  It’s even uglier to have to walk in the things…

No comments:

Post a Comment