05 July 2011

2011 Firecracker 50

Breckenridge, CO


7:30 Monday morning, the temperature was 52 degrees outside. This was a nice relief from the hot weather we have recently had here in Nebraska, but it was short lived by the time I checked in at registration and got geared up it was already getting close to 80 for the start of the race. Even so I could have cared less, once I was on the bike and rolling the day just kept getting better and better! For anyone not familiar with this race, the sold out race of 700 riders line up on main street for a neutral start to be part of the 4th of July Parade. It’s tradition to high 5 all the kids and well wishers during this ride down main street. Once out of town the pacer drops off and the race is on!



The race is two 25 mile loops and while there is over 3000 feet of climbing per lap, it’s well worth it as the single-track trails are super fun. A good majority of the single-track is relatively flat, so it’s not over too quick and yet doesn’t require huge climbing efforts, it’s easy to just enjoy the ride, which as many spectators, other riders, and volunteers pointed out: the Joyride! Since, I'm new to the team and this is the first race I've done with the Joyride jersey, it was a nice surprise to find out how many people like the jersey and seem compelled to ask whether or not joy applies to the current situation? I replied "Always" all day to anyone who asked, even at the toughest moment of the day, it just doesn't get much better than this, forget the mud, the cold creek crossings, the thin air, the 6000+ feet of climbing... I'm on my mtb giving it all I got and loving every moment!



Lap 1 was awesome, I was riding strong, felt good, and the single-track was flowing. I really thought I was on track for a new PR. Yet somehow my first lap time was 3 hrs even! Hmmm, that’s no better than I did 2 years ago… OK, I didn’t race at all last summer, but I have been doing some training and I sure feel a lot stronger. That’s when I noticed the distance: This year should have been called the Firecracker 55, the course had to be altered as some of the trails were still snowed in. A quick survey and many other riders thought there was more single-track too, which would make the lap times appear slower also. Wow, so yes, I’m on fire this year!



Lap 2 didn’t quite turn out how I expected, to start a slow leak appeared in my rear tire. Actually it was really low when I stopped at the aid station to fill it. I’m sure it cost me some time, but no worries as it was a slow enough leak I was sure I would finish just fine. What happened next though, I guess I should have assumed could happen, but caught me off guard. Somewhere around halfway through the second lap, my legs blew up. Perhaps bonk is a more familiar term, but it's the 4th and things should go boom. So for the rest of the race I was riding to survive. I ended up a half hour slower on the second lap, but even so, my overall average speed was still better than 2 years ago! Sure would have been nice to have maintained the pace I was riding the first lap, all the way to through the second, but still hard to complain as overall it was a great race and more importantly great training for some upcoming events later this month!



No comments:

Post a Comment