10 January 2010

Bike 4 – Good Karma




1980something Huffy Champion 10 speed, blue

One thing I didn’t mention is where I got the Le Tour, A friend of mine here in Grand Island is the founder of, Bikes for the Needy, a program that accepts donated bikes and fixes them up for people that need transportation, or for kids who just need bikes!
Sometimes though not all the donated bikes are fixed up and given away, in a few rare cases the donated bikes have more value to sell than give away. How can this be? Well it takes money to make even minor repairs (even when the labor is done by volunteer work) and by selling the bikes with some value this income provides funds to fix up many other bikes! This was the case with the Le Tour I picked out, and an appropriate cash donation was made. There is also the flip side of this situation, perhaps you are thinking, “I have an old bike, but it’s in terrible shape, probably not worth the trouble to even donate it.” It’s possible that your right and the bike is not worth fixing up, but it’s also very likely the bike has many good parts on it that could be used for fixing up other bikes - I would suggest still bringing the bike in as a donation.
That night while working on the Le Tour I went out to an old shed on the farm where I knew my parents had an old Huffy sitting around, this was the bike I planned to cut a piece of tubing out of to make the frame modifications I previously mentioned I was going to do on the Le Tour. When I went out to get the Huffy, I had originally thought the bike was in junk condition, but even though the bike was coated in 1/8” of dirt (ok maybe not that much, but it was thick) the bike had always been stored indoors and some further investigation revealed that it just needed some TLC to be ride able again. Besides not wanting to generate bad karma, fixing this bike up to donate was just the right thing to do, cutting it up for 3 inches of tubing was not! After a couple hours of cleaning and a lot of WD-40, my Dad and I had the bike fixed up and in amazing condition, add some new tires, tubes, and grips and it is probably a better built Huffy than anything in Walmart today! I of course donated the cost of the new parts, my time (and my Dad’s) and this great bike is on its way to help someone out that is in need of transportation!

The Bikes for the Needy program has provided over 500 bikes in the past 5 years to those in need. If you would like more information on the Bikes for the Needy program, if you would like to donate your old bike, or make a monetary donation please call or stop by:
Wayne Cyclery
308.382.4223
309 North Pine Street
Grand Island, NE 68801

No comments:

Post a Comment